John S. Cooper - Consultancy Services
JOHN STEPHEN COOPER
Blymhill Lodge, Weston-under-Lizard, Shifnal, Shropshire,
Telephone : +44 (0)1952 850422 Mobile : +44 (0)7790 939797
A chartered scientist of wide experience within the water, wastewater and environmental management fields who has acted as an independent consultant since 1975 advising both private and public sector Clients on water, sewage, wastewater and trade effluent
matters and the related environmental issues. He has also acted as an Expert Witness in legal proceedings involving both criminal and litigation cases and at public enquiries.
A dedicated, reliable and responsible professional possessing good communication and decision making skills. A committed team player, although well able to work on his own initiative when required, displaying excellent analytical and problem solving skills and a flexible and adaptable approach to work. Self-motivated with an open-minded disposition and a good sense of humour.
Chartered Scientist (CSci)
Chartered Chemist (CChem)
Chartered Water & Environmental Manager (CWEM)
Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Water & Environmental Management (FCIWEM)
Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC)
Diploma of Water & Environmental Management (DipWEM)
Consultant on Water, Wastewater & Environmental Management,
John S. Cooper.
1975 - Present
Head of Water & Effluent Advisory Department,
EMBU Research & Service Company Limited.
1973 - 1975
Head of Effluent Section,
Central Laboratory, Unigate Limited.
1965 - 1973
Chemist, Main Drainage & Sewage Treatment Section,
Colchester Borough Council.
1963 - 1965
Birmingham Tame & Rea District Drainage Board.
1954 - 1963
- Process design, control, operation and management of municipal and industrial wastewater treatment plants.
- Regulatory trade effluent control, management and administration.
- Regulatory sampling, analysis and monitoring of trade effluents.
- Research into trade effluent analysis.
- Design, control and operation of respirometric and pilot-scale systems for research into the microbiological treatability of trade effluents.
- River pollution assessments and audits.
- Process design, control and operation of industrial water and wastewater treatment plants.
- Site suitability investigations.
- Design and management of surface and ground water abstraction schemes.
- Research and development of biological and physicochemical wastewater treatment systems.
- Preparation of treatment plant control, operation and maintenance manuals.
- Plant survey and performance investigations.
- Evaluation and design of process systems for the handling, conditioning, dewatering and disposal of wastewater treatment plant sludges.
- Design of systems for the treatment, control and regulation of site storm water discharges.
- Project evaluation and feasibility studies.
- Environmental impact assessments.
- Handling and submission of planning consent/water abstraction licence applications.
- Preparation of tender documents and design/performance guarantee specifications.
- Contractor negotiation and selection.
- Project management and supervision.
- Commissioning of new plant and equipment.
- Environmental pollution control (EPC) and waste minimisation audits.
- Compilation and submission of PPC permit applications and Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR).
- Design and evaluation of water, raw material, product and by-product recovery and re-use systems.
- Design of wastage control/trade effluent sampling and monitoring installations.
- Waste management.
- Risk assessment and management.
- Site drainage surveys.
- Noise and odour nuisance prevention.
- Preparationn, presentation and delivery of training packages.
- Negotiation of trade effluent consents/agreements with Water Service Companies/Environment Agency.
- Technical and financial assessment of trade effluent treatment and disposal options.
- Evaluation and specification of water and treated effluent quality standards.
- Interpretation of and compliance with statutory regulations and health and safety provisions.
- Assessment, preparation and presentation of expert technical evidence in legal proceeding and at public inquires.
|The Determiination of Cyanide in Low Concentrations (Joint Paper)||Air & Water Pollut. Int. J., Pergamon Press, 1966, Vol.10., pp. 495-519.|
|Research & Development in Dairy Effluent Treatment||Presented at the IDF Seminar on Dairy Effluents, Denmark, 1973., IDF Document, No.77, 1974, pp. 3-17.|
|Measurement & Sampling of Dairy Effluents||Presented at the IDF Seminar on Dairy Effluents, Poland, 1976., IDF Document No.104, 1978, pp. 105-117.|
|Sludge Handling & Utilization in the United Kingdom||Presented at the IDF Seminar on Dairy Effluents, Poland, 1976., IDF Document No. 104, 1978, pp. 235-242.; Abridged Version - Milk Industry, 1977, Vol. 79, No. 9., pp. 10-14.|
|Wastage Control in Dairies||Paper presented to N.I.M.M.B. Seminar on Dairy Effluents, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, March, 1978.|
|Sailing :||Passed RYA ‘Offshore’ and ‘Ocean’ certificate examinations.|
|Scuba Diving||Trained with British SubAqua Club to Dive Leader proficiency.|
|General Science :||Keeping up with recent developments in scientific research.|
|Reading :||Fiction, non-fiction and technical literature.|
|Computing :||Internet, Web Site Design, CAD.|